4/11/16

Lemony Snicket . . .

When I was a kid I read lots of books. I've always love to read and hope I always do (you know that "Sophie's Choice" question about losing sight or hearing . . . take my hearing - no question about it) but I didn't spend nearly enough time, in my never-humble opinion, reading "kid's" books.

Oh sure, sure - I rocked Richard Scarry and Dr. Seuss and Beverly Clearly (who turns ONE HUNDRED tomorrow) and many, many others but I remember jumping from "A Wrinkle In Time" to "Flowers for Algernon" and "The Lottery" and just never, really looked back.

But, thanks to the joys and bemusements of parenting, I get another chance . . . I get another chance to read books that are technically "for" children but that appeal to me and my imagination anyway. I'm also, in sharp contrast to my dismissal of everything for "kids these days" (vs. the superior alternative that my age and generation could enjoy), sheepish to say that books for kids are far better today anyway - or at least the quality stuff is more quantiful.

We've made our way through 43 (of the 54 - number 55 comes out in July) "Magic Tree House" books and we got through the first "The Mysterious Benedict Society" book and we've read almost all of the Disney Fairies/Tales from Pixie Hollow books and a couple of "The Never Girls" novels and a few dozen other books like "Peter Pan" (which is actually not a great read), "Ella Enchanted" (which is better than the movie), and several of the aforementioned Ms. Cleary's works as well as all the (to my great delight) "Ivy & Bean" - a few times each.

But now comes the tween years . . . the cursed and magical TWEEN years and that means we can up the literacy game. And there is one guy that I'm alllllllllllllllllllllllll about - Lemony. F*cking. Snicket.

Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler) is my singular literary obsession at this point. Oh sure, sure . . .  you're probably thinking about the 13 "A Series of Unfortunate Events" right now. I get that. And we're going to read those. But we're also going to tear through "All the Wrong Questions" and "The Composer is Dead" and the other complimentary writings for his series.

But here's the best part . . . there is also Snicket/Handler for ME to read . . . I'm currently laughing my way through "Horseradish" (which reminds you that life is full of pain and suffering and this book won't help) and I have "Adverbs" waiting for me and "This Is Why We Broke Up" and "We Are Pirates" on order. That doesn't even include our annual, Hanukkah-time reading of "The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming".

I total get that, soon enough, I'll be locked out of my daughter's room at bedtime so "Flowers in the Attic" and "and we won't share reading time (or reading stacks) and that is fine. I'll have Lemony Snicket to keep me in touch with my youth.