9/29/15

Good, Bad, Otherwise . . .

DISCLAIMER: This post may feel like me giving a sermon or getting all religious on you. I make no apologies for that.

About a month ago I was openly bummed out and feeling very frustrated. Being a person of considerable self-antagonistic nature I could not just sit and stew in my bummed-out-ed-ness (not a word) so I had to look for some solace and I found it in a book I bought during my conversion classes but never finished . . . Kushner's "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". NOT because I'm a good person that something bad was happening to (I'm pretty average and average things happen to me all the time) but because the word seemed, momentarily, stewed in the bad/good conundrum.

Full disclosure - I've STILL not read the entire book (and probably never will) but I read enough of it to figure something out . . . my own answer to the question "If there is a G-d and he is responsible for everything does that include the good and the bad?" (or whatever more/less snide version of the question your own thoughts on G-d allow for.

Here is what I figured out/settled on. G-d doesn't just cause all things to happen (which I believe he does (yes, in my mind G-d has a gender and it is masculine (long story for another post)) but, way more importantly, he gives us all the ability to either deal with all these things . . . sorta.

Why do some people rise to the proverbial occasion while others fall short? Why do some rebound so quickly while some dwell? Why do some push and others pull? I'm pretty sure it is tied to how they perceive (if at all) G-d and what form of G-d they ponder and believe in (or don't). And that is NOT to imply that those "without" G-d are worse off . . . I think maybe the opposite can or might be true. Those people have said "Eh, you know what . . . I'm good with just me." while others are so deeply beholden to their perception of G-d that they can't just contextualize things without scripture or ministry. Which is also, in my never humble opinion, not "bad".

There is no right or wrong because, as stated above the real question (for me) is not who caused X to happen but how should I deal with X and how did I arrive at that solution. I truly believe it is the exercise of chewing that over that keeps me moving forward and/or comfortable in the moment. This is new perspective for me, folks. I'm growing up - I fear.