8/18/15

Progressive Kansans . . .

I saw TWO things Saturday morning that made me feel good about Kansas. Sure, sure. I ALWAYS feel good about Kansas and believe in her and her people but there are days and moments where the actions of our elected officials (or the fact that people have elected them or chosen not to vote at all - essentially voting for their least favorite politician in the void) when I get nervous but I saw these two things Saturday morning that made me realize that everything is going to be okay . . .

1) An Old Couple Holding Hands While Walking

So I'm barely in to my eight mile of my Saturday morning long run and I round a corner and - in front of me - is the cutest, sweetest couple walking down the street. Two older men (probably in their 60s) and they are sorta' silhouetted by a still-rising sun behind them in the east and they are clearly holding hands as they walk and talk and laugh. I make eye contact with both of them (a thing in itself as I rarely even acknowledge other people exist - much less look them in the face - while out running) and they smile at me and keep walking and holding hands. Now, I don't look intimidating (especially while dripping sweat and unable to breathe) but I have to presume that these men both knew times in their life - maybe not even long ago - when they might not have been so likely to hold hands while walking down the street. Yet there they were . . . happy and enjoying the weather and the cling of the other's hand.

2) This . . . 


Seen on the front door of The Spice Merchant on east Douglas. No doubt a nod to any pizzeria or bakery that might refuse to cater a gay wedding or a business that might want to be included under this absurd Executive Order from "our" Governor (which is not intended for businesses, for the record).

Love Wins, Kansas. Love wins.