Now I know, I know . . . "Sean, you don't look like a guy who would make fruit a 'favorite' food!" and you would be correct. For many, many years of my life you could not convince me to eat fruit or vegetables. I've matured. I've seen the light. I've learned to love the produce. And I LOVE pineapple best among all the produce but it not just because it is sooooo friggin' delicious (which is part of it, to be clear) but it is the trivia of pineapple. The quirks. The MAGIC.
Here are some of my favorite things about pineapple . . .
- You can carve pineapples, like pumpkins, to make jack-o-lanterns.
- It takes up to three years for a pineapple to fully mature.
- A single pineapple is actually as many as 200 fruitlets that have merged inside the shell.
- Once picked a pineapple stops ripening and has only a few days (room temp.) to a week (chilled) before skunking out.
- Some of the sweetest "meat" of a pineapple is just inside the shell so be careful how aggressive you are when coring the fruit.
- A pineapple has almost 5g of protein. That's in the whole thing. Not a lot but few fruits have proteins so . . .
- There was a pineapple "hidden" in every episode of one of my all-time favorite TV shows, Psych.
- Bromelain, an enzyme that is prominent in pineapple, breaks down proteins. That makes it a great digestive (try it for dessert) and meat tenderizer (as in pineapple-baked-ham). That same chemical is why your mouth and lips can hurt/be tender after you eat too much fresh pineapple.
- It (allegedly) makes men's junk juice taste sweeter.
- Pineapple, packed with Vitamin C, is great for fighting coughs and colds and - because they store/travel well and are durable - were leaders in the fight against scurvy.
- You can soak pineapple in vodka to make Stoli-Dole-ies or you can use pineapple juice to make wine.
- Americans named pineapples "pineapples" because they looked like pine cones to early European settlers. Pina, as in pina colada, is Spanish for pine cone.
- Pineapples can help with swelling (it is a diuretic) and can induce labor.
- If you chop off the top/crown of a pineapple and plant it - you can grow another pineapple (in about three years).
- Pineapples are the universal symbol of hospitality.
- It. Is. Delicious.