- When I'm the wrong size for something (too tall, too short, too big, too small, too ham-handed, too whatever).
- When I am without the proper resources or skills to fix something in a timely way (I can learn how to reroute electrical wiring and risk burning down our house or I can hire someone who's been doing it for years. I can also ask the wait staff what they would suggest at a restaurant when my mind can't make itself up).
- When I'm incapacitated (go back to my drinking days or immediately following a surgical procedure, trying to lift something too heavy for just me, etc.).
- When I'm trying to make a point (expertise, and/or to showcase someone else in positive (or negative) ways).
- When I'm feeling lazy (will you please bring me another glass of diet soda?)
- When I am truly desperate (when I was unemployed is a great example).
Here is what is not "fine" . . . offering me actual HELP! What do I mean? Some ACTUAL quotes:
- "Hey, man. Do you want me to slow down and run with you for a while?
- "You're doing great. Just think about the finish line as a motivator."
- "We all have to start but it gets better and easier - if you stick with it."
My "coach" will have you believe I need her. She told me as much - I declined her support once last weekend so she persisted that she was an official coach so I should welcome her official advice and support. I declined again. Far more angrily.
I have a goal for October. I'm going to make it. On my own. In every sense of the word. I would tell my "coach" this but I'm truly terrified that she'd be happy for me and wish to help me make it real.