4/10/15

Mind Matters . . .


As I mentioned a month ago, I've recently become OBSESSED with archery. And while I've, admittedly, only gone out three total times for some "practice" (that is what a dedicated person would call it, right)? I've spent a minimum of ten or eleven HOURS doing research and looking in to the latest sport that - for me (like running, riding a bike, and kayaking before it) - will likely rattle in my brain and maybe become part of my daily life but never actually be there for "sport". It will be the latest co-opting of something otherwise competitive and assertive that I make about being calm, still, and alone . . . if only in my mind.

So what have I learned? It can be super, super complicated. There are, by my counts, eight official "types" of bows and at least six "types" of arrows. There are hundreds and hundreds of manufacturers or everything from the parts of the bow (there are between one and six pieces, depending on your want/need for customization) to the strings and cables that provide the tension, to the tips, shafts, feathers, and end "thingies" (technical term) that couples the arrow with the string.

And that is just the beginning . . . the length of the bow can and will vary based on your shooting strategy (target practice, hunting, type of prey (let's be clear - I'll only EVER shoot at targets), your height, your arm length/reach/pull length, your relative strength, the arrow length you prefer (which is, of course, based on a few hundred variables and goals and strategies), and the distance you plan to shoot (which, again, is based on lots of other factors and considerations).

The point of all this . . . it is super, super confusing. Like so many things in my ever-naive life that I thought I could just engage with (like marriage, parenting, Judaism, marketing, math, and grocery shopping before it) it is almost too much and too overwhelming once you get that toe in the water and realize your body's momentum is about to get the whole of you wet.

Yet - here I am - still obsessed and maybe enjoying the research and learning as much (or maybe even more) than I might ever enjoy the "sport". But I need to get a bow that is a better match than my daughter's tiny, tiny one and her short, short arrows. This much has been verified.