2/17/15

Haves and Have-Nots . . .

I remember being fairly young the first time I realized that not everyone has the same resources in life. That there were those "with" and those "without".

I was probably six or seven years old and there was a big snow storm (as is common in Upstate New York) and that morning at school (we still went, as is common in Upstate New York) there was a girl in my class who got on the bus in regular sneakers, standard pants, and a hoodie. She had no gloves, no scarf, no hat, no winter coat.

She passed me - dressed in "moon" boots, flannel-lined pants, gloves, a coat that must have weighed seven pounds, a scarf long enough to restrain a pack of lions, earmuffs, a hat, and . . . well,  you get the point - on the bus' narrow aisle and sat three rows back on me and audibly groaned from the chill.

She opened her backpack, pulled out a pack of Twinkies and started eating. I had never before, and rarely since, felt so "without".

I'm being absurd to make a point, clearly. I was far more appreciative of my mobility-impeding cold-beating garments than snack cakes (as much as I have always loved them) but the point of what we have, what we want, what each are worth, and how things are valued in any given moment are the larger point.

Stay warm. Eat your Twinkies.