1/21/15

Little Things . . .

I read a really great article yesterday about the impact of investing (literally spending money) in pursuit of fitness goals. It is no different, I suppose, than any other pursuit where you need the right equipment (which often means spending money) to really embrace something and really pursue something and really accomplish things.

I could look at you (I've remotely turned on your webcam - you have toothpaste on your collar) and tell you that this is silly . . . that all you REALLY need to pursue fitness is some resolve and some focus but, well, that would not be my real opinion.

I signed up for a $100 training program, I'll pre-register for a race (at a cost of $60) and I just bought a polar fleece for early-morning January running (at a cost of $17 (thank you clearance and free shipping code at check-out)). I am currently in deep, deep emotional trauma over the current color choices of my soon-to-be-purchased Brooks Transcend 2s (FYI - I was actually GLEEFUL to discover that you can still buy the Transcend 1 on Brooks website) but will spend at least $100 on them. I buy friction reducer to go between my massive and horrifying thighs. I will buy dozens of bottles of Powerade Zero and hundreds of bananas. I'll improve my diet and spend more money on food. I'll use my gym membership more regularly. These are all things that cost me money to help me stay focused.

ALL this is an investment. All of it has helped me get up and run these last 10 days (or so - shhhhh, I still have 102 days until the half marathon, I'm not skurred)). ALL of it is sizable financial investment that, frankly, lots of people can not spend. You know what means a lot MORE to me?

Google Play music tracks (at $8/month) to run to. Nuun tablets at $8/tube of twelve. Larabars at about $1 each. The thing making me MOST happy this campaign? The FREE feetures socks we got as part of our "swag bag" at orientation last week.

I guess I'm rambling but the moral of the story is that it is not so much the cost as the notion of investment and it is not so much what you buy but what you amass in pursuit of miles. Sorta like those people who think buying all the "stuff" to fill their lives will make them happy . . . only, you know, while sweating and out of breath.