11/17/14

Fall/Award-Bait Movie Season . . .

This is the time of year that FILM lovers (you can keep (most) of your "movies" and "blockbusters" and "popcorn flicks" and "features") like me can usually puff out our chests, put on slouchy clothes, hit an ATM for cash for the snack stand, and carve out a few hours to just be left alone (you've all heard my rant about how movie-going is, at its core, a solitary activity, right?).

While there are less and less "original" ideas in film these days (even some of the most hyped movies of the coming awards season are adaptations and/or dramatizations of real-life events (or both)) there are lots of movies that people "in the know" are already buzzing about.

Here is the ONLY list of those movies (some already out, some still to come) that you need to pay attention to this "award-bait" movie season.

Birdman . . . 
Raymond Carvery was a wonderful writer. Michael Keaton really was a great actor. The two together deserve a comeback and some props.



St. Vincent . . . 
I love Melissa McCarthy. I really enjoy Bill Murray (but do tire of the fact that every time he steps in front of a camera there is Oscar buzz for him). I like the idea of people who are completely selfish even in relationships (in a fictional setting, to clarify).



Nightcrawler . . .
Jake Gyllenhaal is beyond creepy in this movie. The scene where he negotiates sex with Rene Russo is the most uncomfortable thing I've seen in film since Christian Bale said "Don't just stare at it, eat it." in American Psycho.



Exodus: God and Kings . . . 
I'm not always a fan of Ridley Scott or Christian Bale but I always loved the story of Moses and Egypt and the plagues and the parting sea and all these other things that no one could really explain and some just chose to believe.



Inherent Vice . . . 
Paul Thomas Anderson has never even let me down a little bit . . . Thomas Pynchon wrote a few books I tried to swallow (and succeeded, sorta - Gravity's Rainbow is smarter than I am). This book, I loved. The adaptation I presume I might love even more.



The Gambler . . . 
Jessica Lange? John Goodman? And is that OMAR (Michael Kenneth Williams)?! I am really excited to see this movie - on cast alone.



Into the Woods . . . 
I let my daughter's mother take her to most children's movies but this is one I'll fight for (or take her to see it again).



Big Eyes . . . 
Much like "Big Fish" this seems like a Tim Burton film that is just quirky enough to be "his" without being so much that it is "HIS" movie.




Also - I'm still hoping for a nod (or two) for Wish I Was Here. Gone Girl, and This Is Where I Leave You (some of my favorite movies of the year). What is my FAVORITE movie of the year? You'll have to wait until December, suckers.