4/9/14

Downtown Living . . .

When I first finished college and headed to Washington, DC I knew two things . . . 1) If I was going to live "in DC" I was going to live IN DC and 2) Living in a city is expensive and not without its downfalls. 

I was lucky. I lived in the Foggy Bottom (named for the humidity that would hang in the air around the State Department - if my memory/understanding is correct) neighborhood the first nine months and the Eastern Market neighborhood for the next six years. Both of those neighborhoods had more row homes than high rises of apartments and both had their own Metro and basic shopping within walking distance (I used to grocery shop in the basement of the Watergate - that was fun).

Then I got engaged and moved to Baltimore. The suburbs of. I know, I know. THEN we moved to the suburbs of the suburbs of the suburbs of the Connecticut suburbs of New York City and became parents. My urban life was over. 

When we moved to Wichita we bought a great house in College Hill and that was it. Near the park. Everyone wins. But I stayed IN Wichita. I at least got rid of the suburbs (NO disrespect, suburbanites . . . okay,  little disrespect).

But I am rethinking this whole notion that I am a parent now and I must live in green areas and can't live in a city center. The Wichita school district grants exceptions and and has magnet schools and has ways that my  kid can stay in her academic comfort zone and there is (wonderfully so) a rebirth happening in Wichita's once-vacated downtown (the problem truly is too much flat, cheap land surrounding it). 

I have friends who are in the middle of the movement to shake up the presumption that if you are parents near a city you must live in the 'burbs. They just moved their daughter, son, two dogs, and a cat from Derby to The Lux

I have been excited to see their place since they moved and I finally got a chance (the door has been open for me to visit for months - I've just been lazy about it) on Sunday. 

Now I want to move there really, really badly. Check out this amazing two bedroom apartment . . . 

A wall of windows runs the length of the unit. This is the living room.

The reverse angle - a small kitchen is bathed in light. Tons of storage.

A skywalk to a parking garage and mixed-use building are just outside.

The bigger bedroom is almost the size of my old apartment. Huge windows.

Walk in shower? I dig it. Baths freak me out anyway.

The smaller bedroom is anything but small - but lacks a window.
Is the Lux "cheap"? Eh. Subjective but when you factor in most of the utilities and WiFi Internet are included and the building, LEED/Green certified and everything, sips electricity from the faucet vs. gulps from the fire hose and that you have no lawn to mow or building to maintain . . . life is pretty good. There is also a rooftop deck (with grass and everything) and I'm told a second rooftop area will open next year with a pool and lounge area.

I don't know if I'm ready to make the move now (I JUST finished unpacking) but the call of The Lux is in my ears and I want to answer it.