2/7/14

NOT The Midwest . . .

I saw August: Osage County the other night. It was fantastically written, cast, and acted. There was not a single person I didn't enjoy in their role (even Benedict Cumberbacht as "Little Charles" was great - that was NOT an easy role). The movie, worth a viewing, is based on the play with the same name. It is very, very heavy and emotional and sad. There are NO silver linings. NO happiness at the end. NO group hugs.

That being said there are some HILARIOUS moments in the movie and the dialogue offers some of the best use of "f*ck" I've seen since any movie Quentin Tarantino ever made.

My FAVORITE exchange in the movie was one where the indigence I scream and yell about all the time (that Kansas (well - the movie is set in Oklahoma but it is the same thing) is NOT in the Midwest). Yes. We have "Midwestern Values" and we are tucked away from those nasty, nasty coasts (I kid - I love you Atlantic ocean and all the states that smell your salty air) but we are NOT, geographically, regionally, zonially (word?), physically, or actually a Midwestern State.

Look! The National Fish and Wildlife Management Agency agrees and those guys, part of the federal government/the Man are NEVER wrong. Ever. EVER!


Don't believe me? These guys at some random education company agree . . .
And these guys at a little publication known as National Geographic agree . . .


So - please - folks . . . please . . . let's start being proud people of the Great Plains vs. Midwesterners.