Some key takeaways . . .
- I clearly don't pay much attention to pop culture anymore. I don't have a single Kardashian on the list (and I'm told the nightmare-of-a-mother is available). I don't have any idea what the kids are watching on TV these days or who the latest Adult Contemporary chanteuse du jour is (let's presume it is Celine Dion . . . still)
- I binge-ate "Drop Dead Diva" on Netflix this fall. It is not a terrible show by any stretch
- I listen to a lot of NPR
- I know Rachel Maddow is not "for me" and I'm fine with that
- This list seems to be much more about mental stimulation that physical beauty (even though all these ladies are very, very lovely - as are ALL of you . . . especially you, gurrrrl) which doesn't mean that I'm an evolved man or that my age has finally outgrown my lust (let's not get crazy) it probably just means that I'm more dedicated than ever to the notion that brains are sexy
- Funny is still important - all ten of these woman can and will make you laugh (Anna Netrebko the least, at least in English)
- The average age of these women is 48.9, down slightly from last year. This means relatively little but might be worth noting.
AGE - 39
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - You probably don't.
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - Drop Dead Diva
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - She's very purdy and carries herself with a lot of confidence. She is very funny and can sing. I'm a simple man, people.
AGE - 42
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM -You don't.
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - Google Play Music (I listen to a lot of opera - don't ask). I only recently Googled her to see what she looked like. Hey now!
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - Even if I were blind, I would be smitten. Just LISTEN to her sing. Oy vey.
AGE - 66
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - American politics done right
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - 1992. Her husband got caught (allegedly) up to no good and she's been important to me ever since.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - Hillary Clinton is brilliant. She's bright, engaging, funny, and has been "hated" her entire professional career but she gives exactly zero f*cks and she might just be (pretty please) our next President of the United States. What's NOT to like?!
Melissa McCarthy (#10 in 2013)
AGE - 43
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - Bridesmaids
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - Gilmore Girls
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - She's wickedly funny and super attractive. The end.
AGE - 32
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - Her Comedy Central show
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - Roasts - the old ones.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - The baby of the bunch . . . she is very bright, very crass, very funny, very beautiful and doesn't seem to take any of that all that seriously - and she doesn't seem to like other people to take themselves too seriously, either. Win.
AGE - 64
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - Morning Edition
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - Morning Edition
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - She's the first woman to speak to me most mornings (Kate Clause being the other but I can't put women I actually KNOW on this list) and she is wide awake and doing her thing at 4 AM PT (she's in LA). That's a good egg, people.
Nigella Lawson (#2 in 2013)
AGE - 53
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - Cooking shows, media empire
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - The cover of a cookbook a long, long, lust-filled time ago.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - She makes everything seem somehow sexual and she can make journalists interviewing her blush. Sure, sure - the cocaine thing is a turn off - and the divorce is temporarily problematic but I'd still let her eat crackers in bed.
AGE - 64
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - Iconism
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - Bridges of Madison County
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - Everything. Truly. She's just wonderful.
AGE - 40
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - MSNBC and general punditry
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION -Her Air America radio show in 2004
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - She's very, very bright. She is extremely funny. She is beautiful. She makes cocktails that are anything but boring. She wears crazy sneakers in her real life.
AGE - 46
WHERE YOU KNOW HER FROM - This list, last year.
WHY SHE CAUGHT MY ATTENTION - The Brothers McMullen
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HER - As I said last year, there's not enough time or space on the World Wide Web to really tell the story. She's purrrrddddy. We'll start, and end, with that.