10/23/13

Taste . . .

No. This is not my tongue - nor is that my cold sore
there on to the right of the tongue. You nasty, boo!
"Taste" is a weird thing. It is, of course, one of the five official senses but it widely believed to be the "weakest" of the senses (in an "ideal" human being - a person with glasses or a hearing aid might not be able to argue their vision or hearing is superior) because it is "tied" to its upstairs neighbor - smell - and the context of scents and flavors.

"Taste", of course, is also something we talk about as people's subjective preferences in things of all sort . . . food, of course, but music, books, clothes, women, men, etc.

I know LOTS of people who think they have great taste - I know people who think they are straight up taste makers - and I know people who are so sure in their preferences they won't even try different "flavors" in this world for confidence they WOULD be disappointed. Now, conversely, I don't know anyone who thinks they have horrible "taste" in anything (except people at the end of a relationship that say they have horrible taste in (wo)men - before starting another relationship with a person of the same approximate "flavor" shortly after) but I know lots of people who will argue that they KNOW people with horrible taste in music, food, books, clothes, the opposite sex, sporting clubs, shoe styles, usage of emoticons in text messages, etc.

So - what is the truth on "taste" in the world outside your mouth? It is the same thing as on the tongue itself . . . contextual. You tell me you have great taste in music - I want to know what you do NOT like (and you'd better have entire genres you can rule out because that helps me figure out what you might like and where that preference comes from). You tell me you have excellent taste in art - tell me your favorite piece in the world (or ONE of them) and then tell me why (I want to know what speaks to you). You drop on me that you have excellent taste in food, tell me about the most universal of things about food . . . how great food makes you feel and why.

What am I rambling about? Context. The things you "do" and "don't" like and the things that help you make decisions, feel superior, feel inferior, feel worldly, feel local, feel legit, feel smart, feel smug, etc. are really only as important as the context and the "smell" of these things. If you can't give your preferences some weight in the world around them - they aren't really your opinions . . . they are just the smell of decision.