7/15/13

Pacific Rim . . .

I went to see Pacific Rim in 3D and IMAX on Saturday night. To say I did not enjoy it is the understatement of the year (thus far). To pretend like I could give it some sort of thoughtful review (or that I would bother to criticize something otherwise so "beloved" would be meaningful) so, instead, I'm going to talk about something far more interesting . . . expectations.

Here's the thing - I didn't expect Pacific Rim to be good. I didn't have any interest in it. It is not my type of movie. I'm no SNOB (okay, fine, I'm an absolute and entire snob) for proof - I love, love, love the Fast/Furious franchise but I don't like movies that lead with the praise of the visual alone. Sure, sure, sure . . . film is a VISUAL medium. But when ALL the praise you read for a film centers on the fake visual effects and the enhanced computer graphics - when there is no mention of the acting, or the script, or whatever - I just can't get in to it. I like at least 51% of my movies to be "real" (physically exist). I digress . . . back to the point . . . expectations.

If I went to Pacific Rim expecting it to just be pretty, I'd have loved it. If I started a new job expecting it to be chaotic and demanding and confusing and exciting and challenging (as I just did two weeks ago) I would be happy. If I went in to parenting expecting (as I did) it to be full of good and bad days and that there would be a million pieces of advice out there and 99% of them would be irrelevant, I would be a better parent. If I saddled up to a bowl of hummus expecting it to be delicious (as I always do) I'll probably find more batches good than bad. If I expect running to suck, most days it will. You get the point . . . you are over the age of six. And I'm not talking about some "The Secret" manifest here - just simply pointing out that the movie Pacific Rim is, for me, a classic example of where my expectations needed to be enough for me.

I should have stayed home. I should have saved $652/person in ticket charges. I would have saved two hours. I would have seen something else. I would have had less to be unduly grumpy about in public. I would have seemed like less than a curmudgeon. Alternatively, I could have kept an open mind and said "I'll bet this movie is going to be really loud and bright and seizure inducing" and gone and found it to be exactly that. Not because I know "The Secret" but because I know myself well enough to know that I'm rarely to never surprised by a person/place/thing not being what I expected and I'm even more rarely open to being surprised by a person/place/thing.

If you want to go see Pacific Rim . . . if it looks like a mindless summer movie full of fight scenes, fun, and visual spectacle - if that is what you expect from the movie - go see it. I can't encourage you enough. You will NOT be disappointed.