6/3/13

Glass Art . . .

When I was a kid (let's say seven or so) I was given a bag of marbles. I've since lost them all. Ha. Get it? I lost my marbles . . . eh. Slayer. Anywho. I lost the marbles but what remained was a fixation with how anyone could possibly "make" little glass marbles that were more complicated than just the round spheres of one-colored glass. For that matter how were THOSE made?

Fast forward and you have a deep love and appreciation for glass art that has remained long since those marbles were lost (I'll beat this drum one more time later so save your groans). And this has not been a cheap obsession, either. Over the years I've spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars fixating over glass art and building a collection of marbles, vases, desktop/bookshelf ready pieces, and my personal favorite . . . the hollow glass ball.

We're blessed here in Wichita . . . just a few miles from downtown we have a world-renowned glass artist, Rollin Karg. And, by the nature of art, we not only have him but several of his apprentices and students have stuck around here over the years to build a very large, very talented pool of glass artists who do their thing. Our art museum has two large installations from maybe the world's leading glass artist. The gift shop is brimming with pieces by Karg, and other local and national artists. Down the street (well - across the river, and a few streets over) is CityArts where you can not only buy pieces from other Wichita glass artists but can even take an AMAZING glass class that will give you a whole new respect for people with glass art talent. (While you are there, look in the doors at the adjacent Associated Integrated Marketing to see a large-scale glass and metal sculpture that I'd like to think is my co-legacy to the agency) You can also go to Rollin Karg's studio on select days and watch his colleagues do their thing, free of charge.

Anywho - here's the point. Glass art is really difficult. It is hot, heavy, and requires MUCH patience and foresight (you basically do everything in reverse and have to think several steps ahead of your current status to get to your finished project goal. How do I know? After 25 years of curiosity I FINALLY I took the class. I sweated it out. I made some really lumpy and yet pride-inducing paperweights. I realized I was a far better APPRECIATOR of than MAKER of glass art. But I am really happy I tried and got the additional perspective.

I won't guarantee you'll fall in love with glass art. No reason to propose it is for everyone (most people would find it silly to spend the money I do on glass "things" that hang in front of windows) BUT I would argue that for every "glass art" in my life there is a "__________" in your life that it is time to get off the sidelines on.

If you don't find glass art - or whatever YOUR thing is - MORE fascinating for pursuing it, you've clearly lost YOUR marbles (high hat).