5/20/13

25 Favorite Movies of All Time . . .

I posted the other day with my review of The Great Gatsby and referenced that Moulin Rouge is one of my top 20 movies. One of you very curious readers sent me a note asking what the OTHER 19 favorites are/were. Well, dear reader, here you go (in order - I might add) and I added five more films for good measure.

A few disclaimers - these are movies I really enjoy (that whole if you were on a deserted island - blah, blah, blah). I'm not arguing any of them shining achievements in cinematic history (although a few of them might just be) and I am OPEN to feedback and criticism here.

Without further delay . . .

25 Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) - I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to loving Kevin Smith's stuff. Mallrats is another favorite but this one . . . this one is the best (in my opinion) of his collection.



24 The War Room (1993) - A movie about the man/campaign that made me fall in love with politics. Random bonus - my first "real job" boss, Richard Strauss, is at 0:56 in the trailer.



23 Only the Lonely (1991) - I love everything John Candy ever made but this one is my favorite. Easily.



22 Black Swan (2010) - Beautifully made narrative of a narrative that follows the narrative of the narrative where the viewer winds out the potentially crazy one.



21 Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - How the 10 year old me wanted to spend his teen years. And almost did.



20 The Best Man (1999) - A great movie about love, friendships, and becoming adults.



19 National Lampoon's Animal House (1978) - So many things to love about this movie.



18 Mary Poppins (1964) - Easily one of the best musicals of all time. And Julie Andrews is well - giggidy.



17 The Great Muppet Caper (1981) - I love all the Muppet movies but this one is my favorite.



16 Fast Five (2011) - Common, suhhhn. You know this is the best one but only by a few inches. And the greatest action movie franchise of all time gets another chapter later this week.



15 Midnight in Paris (2011) - I am not a huge fan of all of Woody Allen's movies but I enjoy him. This one, set in the City of Eternal Light and ripe with historical fun is a keeper.



14 Hudson Hawk (1991) - Yep. I said it. I think this movie is clever AND funny. And I'll bet, deep down, Dan Brown thanks it at least a little bit for inspiring him to write The DaVinci Code. Maybe.



13 The Incredibles (2004) - I like every Disney/Pixar film except Cars (sorry, folks) but this one is my favorite. Why? Because it was (up until recently) the only one that could have been a live action film.



12 Unbreakable (2000) - This movie was so good it almost made me want to start reading comic books/graphic novels. Maybe the best "hero" story ever told.



11 The Family Stone (2005) - The greatest holiday movie ever made and one of my favorite yarns ever cast.



10 The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - Family. Can't live with 'em, can't fake cancer to live without 'em.



9 Spirited Away (2002) - What makes your identity? Your soul/spirit? Your values? Your loyalties? Your name?



8 Moulin Rouge (2001) - Even doomed love is worth feeling and sharing, right? Sure it is.



7 Scent of a Woman (1992) - It may have been that I was Charlie's age when this came out or it could just be my love for a great monologue but I truly believe this movie helped form who I am.



6 The Big Chill (1983) - Greatest "circle of friends" movie of all time and the greatest movie soundtrack of all time. Sidenote - Kevin Costner plays the corpse.



5 Big Fish (2003) - I just posted about this movie a few weeks ago but I can't suggest it enough. Wonderful little movie.



4 Sneakers (1992) - This movie and all the technology seemed so absurd (to me) when this movie came out. Yet. Today . . . it is just a great movie with a fantastic cast.



3 The Hours (2002) - The novel is great, the score is amazing, this film is nearly perfect. It will leave you very sad but in a way that makes you want to be happier.



2 The Big Lebowski (1998) - I have always loved noir, pulp fiction, Shomer Shabbos, the Coen brothers, and hilarity. Combine them ALL? Fo-sho!



1 The Goonies (1985) - Yep. I said it. The Goonies is my favorite movie of all time. And I've seen thousands of 'em.