4/14/13

A Dozen Things I Love This Very Minute . . .

I'm phoning in today's post. Don't like it? Go troll your Facebook feed (which will be on my next lazy post titled "Things I Hate  ALL the Time . . . "). For NOW - 12 things I love right now . . . 

1) My Kid . . . 
She's all the challenge I need right now. We're currently knee deep and elbow high in gymnastics, dollhouse play, clothing stubbornness, teeth  missing, summer planning, and soccer playing (yes - my daughter makes me play soccer with her . . . ) and all of it combines for the perfect reminder that the problems I'm having right now are very, very temporary - parenting is forever.



2) My Roku . . . 
I actually resent my Roku at this point (it is so outdated I don't even have the best remote for my particular model and the new Roku3 blows my little mind) but I still love my Roku way, way more than I could possibly explain and I feel truly bad for anyone out there who is still paying for cable like a sucker when this fits-in-the-palm-of-your-hand device is all you'll ever need.


3) Kite Weather . . . 
There are few things I enjoy about the "Great Outdoors" - let's be honest it is always either hot or cold, windy or still, cloudy or sunny, enticing or upsetting, etc. and yet 99% of the world is OUT THERE. And we are told we MUST enjoy it (or at least embrace it) so there are a few things I'll do outside . . . walk, play Frisbee, miniature golf, go from point A to point B, see Drive-In movies, camp in a tent, and . . . FLY A KITE! You don't like Kansas winds? You're crazy. Get a kite. Seriously.




4) Summer Movie Season is Coming . . . 
I typically prefer the late year, Oscar/Awards bait time of year for films because, well, I'm a snob. But this year (as I will every three years or so) I shift my focus to the late Spring/early Summer popcorn joy that is "Summer Movie Season" because somewhere in the stack is the latest Fast & Furious installment (six). This year I'll have The Great Gatsby, too. Then I'll shut it back down until November. 


5) Knitting . . . 
I've knitted for nearly four years - mainly for stress relief, focus, and to step away from the things that make me anxious. I've never actually KNITTED anything (or kept what I made, for that matter) but I've just started making a pair of slippers. If I don't have a new job by the time I finish them - I will never leave the house again but, for now, I'm enjoying having an actual goal with my knitting.


6) Jew School . . . 
There are people who criticize religion as being a "crutch" for the "needy." I hate to say it but I'm the child on the poster they point their finger at when they say these things. I'm at my best each week for the 2 - 3 hours I'm in conversion classes or at services and I'm most engaged the other hours of the week I spend reading, learning, practicing, studying, and trying to get better at my Hebrew and my general understanding of the faith, culture, people, and history. I'm also thrilled to be joining the congregation I am joining - they are all wonderful, welcoming, friendly people that have made me feel very much at home.
 

7) My Weekly Flower Purchase . . . 
On the every growing list of things I do that make people ask questions, buying fresh flowers every Sunday while grocery shopping may be the top of the inquiries and the peak of my happiness. This is the best season for my indulgences, too. Tulips and daffodils at their cheapest and the rest of the options not much more expensive.






8) Tiny Houses . . . 
I have been obsessed with a smaller residence for years and living in 400 square feet of apartment for eight months has me sure that I can easily live in 700 or so square feet of a home for the rest of my days on this big, bouncing ball. I've been looking at designs, interiors, efficiency tips, propane generator/hot water/heat devices, and even ways to beat local codes for better building options. A time suck? You betcha'!

9) Monk on Netflix . . . 
I have had Monk in my Instant Queue on Netflix since the day I got my Roku (Christmas, 2011) and yet I just - a week ago - started my binge. There were too many other things ahead of it (Psych, Murder She Wrote, Wings, Poirot, House of Cards, Felicity (to name just a few of the TV shows - say nothing of the movies) but it is NOW Adrian Monk's turn and I'm regretting putting it off this long. Truly. There are 125 total episodes. I'm 12 deep and I am craving the last 90% of the collection. So good.




10) Free Time . . . 
I DO want to get back to work. Badly. Every day I pray that "today" will be "the day" that I get the offer or get the opportunity or get assigned a cubicle or - at this point - a register to man. But I've got to say I sorta' like being able to say "yes" to every coffee, lunch, or hang out opportunity. I'm enjoying meeting new people, catching up with "old" (?) people, spending some time doing the things I all too often neglect and just being able to pace through the day knowing there are, in fact, enough hours for everything I NEED to do and even for everything I WANT to do.



11) Atlas Shrugged . . . 
I've owned a copy of Atlas Shrugged for nearly five years. I started to read it the day I bought it. And I made it five pages. I've picked it back up a hundred times and set it back down a few pages later but in the last few months, I've done WORK on this book. And it is fantastically challenging to a moderate liberal like me and it is well written and worth the time, care, and attention it requires. If you have the time - reading this book is far from a crime (heyyyyyo!). Just get it read by Summer 2014 when the final part of the film adaptation trilogy hits the big screens.




12) Nag Champa . . . 
I think I'm secretly a hippie who just likes to dress normally and bathe. I eat increasing organic and basic foods (mind you when I don't eat "well" I eat HORRIBLY), my home is paraben free (cleaners, personal care items, etc.) and at any point in time there is an active and aggressive campaign afoot to limit the use of electricity, oil, gas, etc. and I obsess over waste and recycling lately too. But how do I know I have a problem? Incense. Specifically Nag Champa (just the basic/original - don't give me the dressed up crap). Smells so good. SO good.