3/30/13

Musical Favorites . . .

Another great reader submission (paraphrased):

Sean - 

You have great taste in music and even with your balding head and current employment status I find you highly desirable and would very much like to spend the rest of my life with you. We could sit on a couch, gently hold hands, talk about politics and narrative non-fiction, and enjoy the peace and comfort that only lasting love can provide. I'd also like to eat egg whites for breakfast, hummus for lunch, and fat free pizza rolls for dinner every night and maybe lay-it-down and turn-it-around three or four times a week with you, too. Let me know about all of the above but, perhaps most directly, what are your all time favorite musical acts/artists. Maybe choose one or two folks you like for a handful of genres. 


Sincerely,
Name Withheld

Well, name . . . I'll never (yes, I said NEVER) remarry and while I enjoy the lay-down, the turn-it-around part is not something I'm currently angling for. That's two strikes and . . . sadly . . . there is no such thing (curse you, Totino's) as the fat free pizza roll so let's just stick to the music. In no particular order - a few genres I really enjoy and my five favorite ambassadors of each . . .

RAP/HIP-HOP
Shaun Carter (aka Jay-Z)
The Roots
Mos Def
Missy Elliott
De La Soul

POP 
Celine Dion (I don't care, laugh. Judge. Throw things. My heart will go on . . . (see what I did there?))
Elton John
Coldplay
Paula Cole
Barenaked Ladies

CLASSICAL
James Galway
Philip Glass
Yo-Yo Ma
Gustavo Dudamel (a conductor but he, like all the greats, makes the music even better)
Olafur Arnalds

OPERA
Puccini
Renee Fleming
Marilyn Horne (mezzo, friends)
Verdi
Placido Domingo

R&B
Maxwell
Roberta Flack
Prince
Stevie Wonder
Lauryn Hill/The Fugees

SINGER/SONGWRITER
Eva Cassidy
John Mayer
The Civil Wars
Tracy Chapman
Loudon Wainwright III

MIDDLE-AGED GREATNESS
Paul Simon
The Weepies
Billy Joel
Joni Mitchell
David Gray

ROCK (IN ALL ITS MANY FORMS)
Ben Folds (Five)
The Rolling Stones
The Grateful Dead (JUST started listening to them . . . wish I started 20 years ago)
The Beatles
Smashing Pumpkins

Lastly - while you did not ask - I wanted to share my MUSICAL OBSESSION OF THE MOMENT! Can't wait for the entire album but this song is strong, strong, strong.