3/16/13

Bailey's Shakes . . .

A long, long time ago (13 years) ago in a land far, far away (Hamden, CT and Washington, DC) your blogger was way, way less sober than he is now. I never saw myself an "alcoholic" but I was a classic (in all the wrong ways) Binge Drinker (all caps to show fear/respect). We're talking blackouts, poor decisions, unbecoming words and actions, etc. Bad times. BAD times. If you and I were friends then, I'm sorry and I appreciate your love and support despite my not really deserving it. I still owe Ben Affleck an apology (long story for another post).

The GOOD news is, I cleaned up my act and stopped dipping a toe in the bingeful (sp?) waters. The BETTER news? I still owe Kathryn Casey Lawlor Osborne (she was simply Case-Face to me back then) a woman who WAS a friend of mine then (and still is, I'm honored to say) a favor. In honor of the 13th Step (handing off your booze recipes) and tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day lunacy - I give you my Bailey's Shake recipe. This is a treat I made just one season out of the year (sorta' like the Shamrock Shake at McDonald's it is more a window of time vs. for a specific occasion  and something that people typically enjoyed.

1) Get out your blender and wash out the pitcher. They get dusty really easily, yo. Also - wipe off the blades with a clean, damp cloth. They get gross really easily, yo.
2) Gather the following ingredients . . .

  • 1 gallon of vanilla ice cream (allow to soften for 10 minutes on the counter).
  • 1 standard sized squeezy bottle of chocolate syrup (store band is fine)
  • 1 gallon milk (I actually prefer skim milk for this, much to the dismay of thick shake lovers)
  • 1 BIG bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme. I suggest the Chocolate Mint but you can stick with the standard, to taste. I would suggest against the coffee, caramel, or hazelnut but - as Randy might say "Do your thing, dawg."
  • 1 750ml bottle of cheap vodka (no one will ever taste it either way)
  • 1 750ml bottle of CLEAR Peppermint Creme de Menthe. You can also use a clear Peppermint 
  • Schnapps but the syrup-factor of the Creme is better here. I stress the CLEAR part. The green doesn't color mix well with these other ingredients. 
  • 1 12oz. bottle of Guinness or another dark, stout beer
  • 1 can of whipped creme 
  • 1 chunk of chocolate and a grater and/or chocolate shavings
  • Straws and spoons (1 per person)

3) For each PITCHER you want to make (even if you're drinking alone, go with the pitcher) add the following:

  • 1 1/2 cups ice cream 
  • 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup Bailey's
  • 1 cup Creme de Menthe (or Peppermint Schnapps)
  • 1 jigger (a shot glass full or 1.5 oz.) of the stout beer

4) Blend for a full minute. Just let the blender go. People like that sound at a party. Trust me.
5) Pour milkshakes in to the drinking vessels of your choice (I used pint glasses) and add a straw and a spoon to each glass (the shakes will separate a little so you will want to remix them as you go for consistent enjoyment)
6) Enjoy.

There you go. Be safe. Don't drink and drive. Don't drink and text (unless they are inappropriate photos you want to send me (I kid, unless you were gonna' do it)). Don't drink and social media. Blah, blah, blah. Slainte! (Pronounced Slawn-cha and the Gaelic equivalent to "Cheers!")