2/22/13

More to Do With Beauty . . .

I often think I have a truly blessed life. I've been overweight since the womb. I got glasses at age six. I not only had braces but, for a month before, I had a thing in my mouth that cracked and spread my palette and made my speech garbled beyond belief. I was in chorus. I played the flute. I was in French Club, Drama Club, and SADD. I was in Student Council. I was the President of Student Council. I was Homecoming King.

I was never called a single name. Never dismissed. Never lessened or criticized or belittled or chastised. Maybe it was because my high school nickname (Pudge) came from and was received in love. Maybe because I had good friends that surrounded me. Maybe because I never called people names, minimized, or bullied. Maybe because I grew up in a small town in Upstate, New York where people are nice. Maybe because I had parents that taught me to believe in myself. To have confidence. To be kind and to be just. To work harder. Be smarter. Give more than I took.

Maybe I'm just blessed. Maybe we all are. Because if you survive the names, the abuse, the garbage, the hurt, and the allegations . . . you are stronger. You are better. You are beautiful.

To This Day from To This Day on Vimeo.

Have a great Friday. Hug someone today. Hug a different person tomorrow. Be NICE to each other. LOVE each other. Teach your kids to do the same. It's not that hard. It's actually easier than the alternative.