I saw the movie. I enjoyed it. It was as bloody, over the top, funny, well made, well acted, long, and lovingly crafted as I expected it to be. I was in no way surprised to hear the word 1,589 (or so) times in the 3 hour film. It was a movie about slavery, set in the era of slavery, made by a dude that loves to push buttons and press the envelope.
I'm NOT saying the word is okay. Nor am I condoning slavery. Nor am I saying that those offended should grow up or get over it or whatever. Heck no. If that word bothers you for any reason . . . allow it to. I'm fine with that. For without that potential for offense - I have no blog post brewing here. The point of this post (already a few hundred words in) is to showcase that words have no meaning, weight, or strength without CONTEXT . . .
Indulge me - what do each of these words make you think of? What "significance" to they have? How do you feel about them?
- I love my family.
- I hate Monday mornings.
- There is God in this orchard.
- People who say juju have mental problems.
- . . . and called it macaroni.
- Nothing funnier than flipping a nun the bird as she does her acts of kindness.
- I am a far healthier eater thanks to these Organic Cheetos (yes - that is a real thing)
- My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun. Baby got back.
- It is never okay to call a woman a slut. Ever. Stick with whur!
- Boobs! BOOBS!