1/9/13

Rains, Pours, Whatever . . .

There are all sorts of old adages and general cliches that really don't make a ton of sense to me . . .

  • Deaths come in threes
  • Good things come to those who wait
  • Arrested Development is hilarious
  • When it rains, it pours

Let's focus on the last one . . .

"When it rains, it pours." What does it mean? Well - it is actually a  simplification (marketing speak, thanks Morton Salt) for "It never rains but it pours." This is actually an old Mandarin (Chinese) proverb that basically says trouble comes in groups. It was modified in the 18th century in Jolly Old England to imply that you can be in a drizzle or a hurricane because when "it" is coming down and you get wet - it doesn't matter how wet you are (giggidy). But here's a twist . . . in the salt context, the slogan means that even in moisture, the salt doesn't glob together and it will pour out of the cardboard cylinder it comes in. Yep. Morton is alleging that their salt defies the laws of physics in that even humidity can not prevent its salt from staying solvent and crystal.

So when "we" (the Royal) use the cliche we're being negative. We're saying that trouble comes in packs, that when you're down you're down. That when you are wet, you're wet. I don't get this. What's with the pessimism? What's with the wallowing? What's with the negativity? I've been in plenty of light mists that I found downright refreshing and the only time I've ever been in a tropical storm (the first time I went to Disney World) I had a TON of fun running around in the sheets of rain. I got wet both times - sure. My glasses got spotty and my hair appeared as bald as I really am. There are negatives to be found but only if I look. Only if YOU look.

Let's get with the advertising professionals here, folks. Take the rain. Get wet. Get damp, dank, misted, moist (worst. word. ever.) or even inundated and deluged but pour. Pour right out of it. Be SALTY but don't stick in it, don't dissolve, don't wallow.

Life will only ever give you things you can handle (rain - in any quantity) but it is up to YOU to handle it.