12/13/12

The Nutcracker . . .

One of the few real "traditions" we have in our little family is The Nutcracker. For five straight years, Ava has sat in the seats at Friends University and watched a group of very talented students (at Friends and younger) and a few random professionals alllll the way from New York City (echoes Newyawkcity?) dance one of the most beautiful and random (Mother Gingerbread, anyone?) of the holiday traditions enjoyed not only in the 3-1-6 but the world-round.

I really, really enjoy going with Ava. I really, really enjoyed going to Syracuse to see the ballet with my parents as a child, for that matter. Truth be told, I love the ballet. And the opera. I know, I know . . . I digress. I'll make a confession - I'm way more in to the MUSIC than the dancing when it comes to The Nutcracker (as you probably know, the dancing was added far later than the music was written unlike a common pairing at creative inception).

I'm not alone in my love of this work though. Not even close. How much of a tradition is The Nutcracker in the American Holiday psyche? There were 14,000 known productions of the show in 2011. How about Wichita's psyche? There are THREE productions of the ballet in production this weekend. THREE! And that is just fine with me. I wouldn't mind four. I also wouldn't mind if the WSO just did the music sometime while that random fake snowy stuff fell on them (hint, hint).

Anywho - if you can't pry yourself away from your other "to do" list to see a live production of The Nutcracker here in town (or in ANY town you actually live in - I KNOW it is being produced there, live) here is the whole damned thing performed by some professionals at the Royal Opera House.  Please to enjoy . . .