12/3/12

All You Need Is Love . . .

I'm not entirely sure when The Beatles' "All You Need Is Love" got co-opted as a "holiday" song (I probably became aware with the release of Love Actually but I suspect it happened much, much sooner) but I'm okay with it. I got some great feedback on my post about my mother's insistence on getting me Christmas gifts (UPDATE - My parents were considering a "surprise" visit to Wichita for Christmas this year (gulp)) so I thought I would take a more neutral approach (as to not incite the mothers of the world) and simply state that I wonder if we wouldn't be better off if we didn't put more stock in just sharing love this time of year. Not on Christmas Day. Not the nights of Hanukkah. Not just holiday parties or tree lightings or Nutcracker performances but seconds, minutes, and hours of peaceful interaction. It is how we are our best selves. As John, Paul, George, and Ringo clarified (?) in their words of confusing, confounding, encouragement . . . "Nothing you can do. But you can learn how to be you in time. It's easy." Take it away, CeeLo and The Muppets.