11/16/12

Give vs. Receive . . .

I read the great piece Suzanne Tobias wrote for yesterday's Eagle about limiting Holiday excess and it reminded me of one of my favorite holiday spots EVER (and no, it is NOT the Coca Cola tractor trailer spot - maybe the WORST holiday spot ever and that includes every assault Gap has ever put on us this time of year). Take a few minutes and watch the spot . . .



You back with me? It's okay if you're still teary. I've watched it 5,281 times and I still well up every time. The reason I adore the spot is not because of the production value (which is high) or the great job the kid actor does (which is admirable) . . . it is because of the "twist" at the end.

WHY should we be surprised that kids can be GIVING this time of year? Why do we NOT presume they will show kindness and good nature and selflessness? I'm not raising a perfect child but I have a child who is, generally, very gracious when receiving gifts and seems to genuinely enjoy giving them. And the times she does not show appreciation - her stuff "disappears" for a while and is doled back to her at later times. Maybe it is because we've never been excessive at the holidays (one serious gift from Mommy and Daddy for each year she is old, one large gift for each year she is old from Santa and a generous stocking) or maybe (hopefully) it is because we are lucky enough to have a kid in our midst that is not unable to truly embrace the logic that it is better to give than to receive. At the end of the day it is probably because her mother is a genuinely good person that teaches her things like humility and selflessness. Daddy teaches her vulgarities.